Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Quick transition



It is now 1 AM and I am just finishing up packing. I leave for Europe in a few hours. I'm a bit nervous: I've never left this country for more than a day. I've never travelled by myself either (except the flights to get to and from MN). It is really hard to realize what it will be like.
Before I get ahead of myself, I must talk about what I have been up to for the past two weeks. From June 24th to July 7th, I was working as an activity director (chaperone) for the Stangeland Family Youth Choral Academy at the Oregon Bach Festival in Eugene. This was one of the busiest years for the SFYCA. They sang multiple concerts. They sang the naitonal anthem at the opening ceremonies of the US Track and Field Olympic Trials, sang a concert with Garrison Keillor and Maria Jette, sang in a tribute concert to Bill Bowerman (founder of Nike), sang their full program concert, sang at the patron supper, and sang the Bach Magnificat under the baton of Maestro Helmuth Rilling. I had the great pleasure to sing with the choir for the Magnificat (they asked some alumni to sing with the YCA to beef up the sound to carry over the orchestra). THis is my favorite choral piece and it was incredibly surreal to be singing it with the Bach expert himself.
My job consisted of making sure the kids went to bed, were at rehearsals (on time), and being temporary care giver. While I was not doing that, I saw the 5 Browns in concert, drank coffee/iced tea at a variety of coffee shops (I attempted to try a new one every day), hung out with the other AD's, colored in my Disney Princess coloring book, practiced some singing, and completed a few sudokus.
This year the kids were really cooperative. Last year was rather hellish. I feel like I got to know a few kids more than I had expected to. They sang so beautifully and I was moved to tears multiple times. I felt more attached to the OBF family more so than any other summer. Beautiful music and beautiful people, makes being a part of the festival a must each summer.

No comments: