Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Today was a fairly condensed schedule, but I still felt like there was a lot of time where I was just sitting around. Once I have lessons and coaching sessions, there are going to be even more odd gaps of time (ie I have an hour between voice lessons and german lessons to get to the college).

We went on a guided tour of historic Salzburg (the area around our school). The tour guide was so knowledgeable. She talked about the history of Salzburg. It was quite fascinating. I never knew that it was an independent country until 1800, ruled by Prince Archbishops. Not until the Viennese Congress (I think that's what it was called) in 1816? did it become part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. She also gave us in-depth history about the Salzburg Festival as we passed the Festival buildings (which were once the Bishop's horse stables.) I had no idea that the Festival is such a big deal to the people of Salzburg. I am eager to see how it changes in a few weeks.

I didn't finish the tour at the Mirabell Gardens because I wanted to get my stuff from the college and head to the store. The tour was going over time anyhow. Once we were at the grocery store it took me forever to decide what to get. I was thinking about frozen dinners, but since I don't know German I wouldn't know how to follow the directions. When we got to the cashier, they didn't take visa so I panicked, but fortunately I spent E49 when I only had a 50. I think the people in line were a little frustrated because we had so much stuff and we didn't know that we needed stickers for the produce that is by the gram. They also make you buy grocery bags. So bring your own or you'll have to buy either paper or plastic (I think they should make this a requirement in the US as well). Overall, Austrians conserve so much more than Americans do.

The clouds finally gave way this morning. The sun was out at it was actually a very pleasant day. I was beginning to doubt whether or not Salzburg was in the Alps, but now that the clouds have moved on, I can see the real mountains. Kim was thinking it wasn't a big deal (she's from Salt Lake), but they are still gorgeous. The cool thing is that they are so close. There is a mountain right behind our hotel and supposedly a hiking trail. I must seek this out.

While I would love to go to Vienna for our free weekend. I've decided that I'd rather not spend the money and instead go hiking all weekend. I think on Saturday, after my recital audition, a few of us are going to hike up the mountain that our college is built into and scope out the Salzburg Fortress and Museum of Modern Art.

Here are some pics from today's tour:
(Mozart's Birthplace)


(Saint Rupert, he helped build the city after the Romans left)


(The Cathedral, the original one was torn down by the Archbishop, who had returned from studying in Italy, and built a new Baroque cathedral. Leopold and W.A. Mozart worked as musicians here)


(The Benedictine Abbey)


(The Franciscan Abbey)


(Salzburg Fortress)


(Salzburg University. It is being re-opened after it was closed in 1810 when Salzburg was annexed by Bavaria)

No comments: