Wednesday, July 16, 2008

First Lesson

Today was my first lesson. I was barely late. I didn't allow myself enough time for the bus to travel to the musikum. I had a really good lesson. One of the accompanists will always come for the last half hour of my lessons. My teacher understands where I'm coming from as a choral singer. She too was a choral singer and is a Lutheran from the midwest. She's already getting me to produce more sound than I am used to. I'm also finding that in practice, I really have to do more grunt work (ie stopping and reworking phrases, until I truly get them to be consistent).
Today was the first masterclass. Dr. Hardengbergh was teaching it. The emphasis was on German diction. It made me feel alot better. I was really afraid that I would be not nearly as good as the other students here. The four students performed very well, but I was glad to see that they weren't perfect and had stuff to work out, just like me.

No comments: