Tuesday, July 15, 2008

First days in Salzburg

I arrived in the Munich airport and had no idea where to meet the group. Fortunately over the next two hours four of us in the Salzburg program collected, but we still never saw the whole group. The entire group ended up walking right past us because we were next to the exit to the bus stop. While on the shuttle, we drove through what seemed the back roads to Salzburg. Everything was so green and it was raining. It reminded me so much of driving through the coastal mountain foothills. I really did feel like I was home in Oregon and that around the next corner would be a familiar town, but instead there was usually some small village with a huge church.

We got to our hotel: student housing apartments that are turned into a hotel during the summer. My roommate was asleep as I was unpacking. I didn't meet her until that evening when she woke up. She's going to be a junior at Rice and is originally from Ohio. We went into downtown to find something to eat. Nothing is open on Saturday nights, except wine bars. We found one place to eat. Anything else that we found was incredibly expensive. I will definitely have to buy groceries for dinner. The view is amazing from the pedestrian bridge over the river. We tried finding the college, but it was a little confusing and it started to get dark and we weren't sure when the buses would stop running. We headed back to the hotel.

I have found that our shower can't keep the water in, with curtains closed and everything, so our bathroom has been turned into a pond. I talked to the front desk and they sent someone down, but I think all he did was mop it up. Otherwise, the rooms are very nice and have a kitchenette and fridge as well as cooking utensils. Our breakfast and lunches are taken care of, but we have to find dinner ourselves. I have found that it is almost impossible to keep up with the vegan thing here. But that is alright, I kind of knew it would be hard and that I was already planning on having a few splurges. I'll just learn to eat like a European.

For the first day of the program we met at Salzburg College (where our classes are, an American university). We had introductions. It was kind of intimidating hearing that there are grad students and students who have been studying intensively at conservatories. Oh well, I'm just here to learn not be the best, but I am wondering why I ever applied for the recital competition. The staff seems really fun. I was placed in the 11:30 beginning German class, I have lessons at 9:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays and I have my first coaching session on Thursday. I am taking lessons from Lori Bade a mezzo who teaches at LSU (Baton Rouge). We also use the Ukranian church across the street for masterclasses, lessons, and practice rooms (St. Mark's). As well as the Musikum across the river.


We had a foot tour of old town (our side of the river). There is a lot of shopping in this area as are there lots of churches. I'm learning to navigate around. It really isn't that hard, it is a fairly small city. I found mass in English at the Salzburg University chapel at 17:00, but apparently there is a church right behind out hotel. This is a very Catholic city (remnants of Holy Roman Empire).

I have done a good job refraining from shopping too much. Because everything is ridiculously high in price and the dollar is so low, it is too expensive to buy clothing. I did get an umbrella decorated with Mozart manuscript and a shawl for my dress at H&M.

Hopefully I will be more diligent about regular blog entries from now on so that you won't have entire essays to read.

No comments: