Monday, July 21, 2008

Weekend as a tourist

This weekend I was a typical tourist. Lindsey and I went to the salzburg fortress, ate lunch up there, and then went shopping and bought souvenirs and walked through the Mirabell Gardens.
It was a very nice day, but I was certainly exhausted by the end. After Saturday night mass at the Franciscan church, I just came back to the hotel and watched episodes of 'How I Met Your Mother'.
Earlier in the morning I sang in the auditions for the recital competition. Dr. Moteki asked me to sing the one song I was least prepared with. Oh well, I forgot the words and breathed in really awkward spots. I was just auditioning for the experience and I'm glad I can start with new music, though my voice teacher wants to keep working on the Rossini with me and I'm singing the Mahler in a masterclass with Wolfam Rieger on Thursday.
Our lunch up at the fortress had the most amazing view of the mountains.
Upon the recommendation of our German teacher, Lindsey and I tried the Salzburg Nockerl. It's a egg-meringue-like dessert that tastes very much like a crepe. They give you fruit to add to it. Little did we know that it is definitely something to share with a larger party than two.
The view from the fortress is quite fantastic. We were lucky that it was such a clear day. It has been raining most of last week and it started again on Sunday.
On Friday night, a group of us went down to Mirabell Gardens to hear traditional music and see traditional dancing.


On Sunday, the entire group went the Salzkammergut region out side of Salzburg. This is in the mountains and there are a number of lakes. We went to Moondsee, St. Wolfgang, and Hallstatt. Moondsee church is the site of the wedding scene in Sound of Music. St. Wolfgang was maybe one of my favorite places. The lake is soooooo clear there and the church some how caught my attention (the altar carving artwork was made by a famous Baroque artist who was actually from Austria).

After spending about an hour in each city we made one last stop to the Gosausee, a glacial lake further into the mountains that was Wagner's inspiration for Parsifal. It was breathtaking. We couldn't see the peaks of the mountains entirely because it had been cloudy.

No comments: