Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ticked off by tourists at Trafalgar

My second day in London involved going to morning prayer (Franciscan prayer) at St. Pancras (another church in the group of Parishes that Eric works with, this is the church that Owen works at). It was very similar to Benedictine prayer but there were more moments of silence. The church is very old. It has been believed to be one of the oldest sites of worship in England (used by the Romans). The church has been reconstructed a few times but it still has some of the old Norman masonry.

Eric and I got a ride to the parish office in one of the lady's cars, it was so weird to drive backwards and was especially weird because it was a manual and she was shifting with her left hand. She dropped us off at the parish team office so i could check email and Eric had to work. After checking my flight info, I got on the 29 bus to Trafalgar square. Oh man did I find the tourists!
So determined not to look like a tourist, I walked quickly to Westminister Abbey. Eric said to find the street that Big Ben is on and head down that way. I just followed the signs to the abbey. Somehow I couldn't find Big Ben. Then I followed the audio tour of Westminister. I became rather overwhelmed by the amount of tombs/memorials. Most of them were overly and ornate and I really didn't care about. The ones I cared to see were generally the most humble looking actually. It's funny how the overly ornate ones were for people that I and probably nobody knows these days, but when they were alive had buttloads of money and just gave monetarily, but in the long run never benefited mankind while the people we still remember today: writers, composers, etc. had small stone slabs or busts.
On my way out of Westminister I realized why everyone was stopping in the middle of the sidewalk (pavement in UK terms). They were snapping pictures of Big Ben. I found it!!! I had walked right passed it when I was distracted by the huge parliament building.
Ignoring my hunger I walked down to the Thames but then realized I was getting a headache so headed back to Trafalgar. I ate lunch on the steps of St. Martin of the field church. Then still feeling hectic I walked into the church and listened to a chamber ensemble rehearsing Vivaldi. It was very nice to get away from the tourists, they just totally stress me out because they act so stupidly and have no regard for what's around them. After buying 3 cheap scarves that were on sale I headed back to Camden on the bus. I still had a headache and was stressed, so I took a nap for 30 min. Then Eric and I headed to dinner. Before dinner we headed to Regent's park to walk through the rose gardens. It was exactly what I needed. After such a stressful day of city it was so nice to breathe again in this huge gorgeous park. Then we walked back to Camden and got Curry 4 U for dinner. Indian food is the cuisine of choice in England. After dinner Owen and Fr. James came over and Fr. James had great advice for what to see in Rome. I had fun staying up chatting with Owen and Eric. Owen's impressions of French and American accents were so hilarious (He's from Wales). To end our evening, we listened to awful, overly cheesy Michael W. Smith and other shallow praise music.

No comments: