Sunday, August 9, 2009

Minnesota, my second home

My summer has had a few surprises so far, but nothing too extraordinary. Two weeks ago I had a wonderful week in Minnesota. My friend Kaitlin picked me up from the airport and we got to chat and have dinner my first night. I started by visiting my friend Lauren who was in production up in Alexandria. Then I had a chance to drive down to campus and chat with my old voice teacher. I met up with Angela, my host teacher from student teaching. My last night I stayed with Emily, one of my fellow Hoyme staffers. And of course I spent as much time as I could with my old roommate and "favorite", Abby.
My main reason for heading over this time was to see my friends Stephanie and Nick get married. Steph was a fellow music-ed major and she took my place in our Minneapolis apartment. In fact, I ended up staying with her at the apartment for a few nights. I even got to sleep in my old tiny room under the stairs. Steph's bachelorette party was thursday night. The best part by far was going to the dueling piano bar and having the piano player serenade Steph while she sat up on the piano. Steph asked me to read at the wedding. They picked some good ones. It was such a great experience for me. Surprisingly there was no choir, but when the organ cut out for that third verse of a hymn, there was most definitely 4-part harmony happening. It was small, but I knew almost everyone there. After the reception, us Oles moved the party to the cow where we continued to catch up and just enjoy our time together. It was especially great to see Cindy who had been in Germany for the last year.
I headed back to Oregon after Abby and I spent a day with our friends Hannah and Levi, who were married at the end of May this year. It was so good to be reunited with everyone. I wish I could have both Oregon and Minnesota all in one place. It was nice to visit, but Oregon will always be home for me.

No comments: