Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July

Today I drove down to Eugene to hang out with my Bach Festival YCA co-workers from last year. It is always much further south than I anticipate. It's not quite like driving to Corvallis. I got there towards the end of their last rehearsal. As I was trying to find my way around the remodeled music building I ran into Angela, one of the other singers from Salzburg. She was singing with the festival choir again. Another person I was surprised to see was Sonja. This is her first year singing with the festival choir. She was in Ole Choir with me but we got to know each other a bit more when we both sang in the church choir at IHM in Minnetonka. When I was talking to her, I of course mentioned my plans to move away from teaching and go for performance. She was very enthusiastic and totally understood. Everyone I have talked to has been very supportive. I'm always a little hesitant to tell people, especially people I've known through choir and education, that I don't want to be a choir teacher right now. I was getting high-fives and people say "go for it!" or "awesome!" It makes me feel really happy.
Of course I saw some of my favorite people: my fellow chaperones from last year. It was so much fun to just goof around with them again. We all ate dinner together in Barnhardt and of course laughed over and over. After dinner, Chelsea and I went to Prince Puckler's ice cream shop. I had been craving one of their chocolate-dipped, frozen bananas with nuts. Chelsea was my roommate our first year of YCA. She chaperoned last year. I just love hanging out with her. She has a very positive and uplifting spirit. I call her my future neighbor. Last year when walking around Eugene's Saturday Market I told her that I would love to live next door to her. Today, we talked a lot about how much we've grown over the last year with our post-college experiences. She's been working on a farm in upstate NY that hosts outdoor school children.
I then got to pose as a YCA chaperone as we loaded the buses to their performance in the park. The kids sounded great. I didn't recognize too many because it's a very new group. Only 1/3 of the group returned this year. On the bus rides i got to chat with Cole, a fellow Ole alum and the choir teacher at LO, and Peter, a student from South Salem who I'll be working with at St. Paul's in the fall.
Which reminds me... I got a job! It's part time, but it'll take care of health insurance and loan payments. I will be the assistant director for the music ministry at St. Paul's Episcopal Church. They have some of the best music in Salem. It'll be a great opportunity for me. The director also volunteered the church for me to teach voice lessons in. That's going to be so helpful.

Things I Liked about today: (almost everything) chatting with g+g Zielinski, seeing YCA people and just picking up where we left off, seeing people I didn't think I'd ever see again, frozen banana, good conversations, my awesome blueberry pancakes, and cleaning up the kitchen

Things I didn't like about today: mosquito bites, almost falling asleep on I-5, I smelled by the end of the day

Latest song: "Cecilia" by Refice- an opera about the life and death of St. Cecilia

1 comment:

Jimusik said...

woot woot, so excited for you!